With Ran, legendary director Akira Kurosawa reimagines Shakespeare's King Lear as a singular historical epic set in sixteenth-century Japan. Majestic in scope, the film is Kurosawa's late-life masterpiece, a profound examination of the folly of war and the crumbling of one family under the weight of betrayal, greed, and the insatiable thirst for power.
Brimming with action while incisively examining the nature of truth, "Rashomon" is perhaps the finest film ever to investigate the philosophy of justice. Through an ingenious use of camera and flashbacks, Kurosawa reveals the complexities of human nature as four people recount different versions of the story of a man's murder and the rape of […]
- GenresCrime, Drama, Mystery
- DirectorAkira Kurosawa, Mitsuo Wakasugi, Tai Katô, Teruyo Nogami
- CastDaisuke Katô, Kichijirô Ueda, Machiko Kyō, Masayuki Mori, Minoru Chiaki, Noriko Honma
Mr. Watanabe suddenly finds that he has terminal cancer. He vows to make his final days meaningful. His attempts to communicate his anguish to his son and daughter-in-law lead only to heartbreak. Finally, inspired by an unselfish co-worker, he turns his efforts to bringing happiness to others by building a playground in a dreary slum […]
- DirectorAkira Kurosawa
- CastAkira Sera, Akira Tani, Atsushi Watanabe, Bokuzen Hidari, Daisuke Katô, Eiko Miyoshi
- 1080-HDSeven Samurai
A samurai answers a village's request for protection after he falls on hard times. The town needs protection from bandits, so the samurai gathers six others to help him teach the people how to defend themselves, and the villagers provide the soldiers with food. A giant battle occurs when 40 bandits attack the village.
- GenresAction, Drama
- DirectorAkira Kurosawa, Hiromichi Horikawa, Masaya Shimizu, Sakae Hirosawa
- CastAkio Kusama, Akira Kitchôji, Akira Tani, Akira Yamada, Atsushi Watanabe, Bokuzen Hidari